3 Cups long grain Rice
4 tbs ghee or butter
2 medium Onions, finely sliced
20 black Peppercorns
12 Cardamom pods, bruised
1 ½ tsp ground Turmeric
3 ½ tsp Salt
5 Cups Coconut milk
Rampe leaf (or 4 pieces Daun Pandan)
- Wash rice and drain thoroughly.
- Heat butter on a saucepan.
- Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, salt, turmeric and rampe.
- Add rice and fry until rice is well coated with butter and turmeric
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover with lid and cook for another 25 minutes or so
(until rice is cooked) without lifting the lid.
- When rice is cooked, the spices & leaves used will have surfaced to
the top. Remove them and serve hot with curries.